CU Times August 2014
That’s how the Country is

Japanese Maruyama Genji worked in a trading company in Tokyo, wrote, and received the literature Newcomer of the Year Award. At the age of 25 he returned to the country and focused on writing, publishing his work on the rural…

Ebola outbreak  has UI’s attention

Liz and Loanie talk with CUPHD Administrator Julie Pryde about health tips. The Ebola outbreak in Africa has prompted the University of Illinois to suspend study-abroad programs in Sierra Leone this fall and plan some extra screening for international students…

URBANA — The recent unionization of some University of Illinois faculty members appears to be having an unintended consequence when it comes to raises. The nontenure-track faculty union was certified by the state last month. And in an e-mail to…

Mandatory mediation on tap  for foreclosure process

Photo by: Heather Coit/The News-Gazette Circuit Judge Michael Jones listens as Stacey Tutt, director of Community Preservation Clinic at the UI College of Law, talks about the need for mediation between borrowers and lenders before foreclosures. The press meeting was…

Pope Francis Welcomed by  South Korean Leaders,  North Korean Rockets

Photo: BBC Pope Francis received a warm welcome from South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Thursday as he began a five-day visit to the country. During his trip, Francis will participate in a Catholic youth festival and a mass for…

Japanese Economy Sees  Worst Quarterly Decline Since 2011

A man walks past an electronic stock board of a securities firm in Tokyo as the 225-issue Nikkei Stock Average, shown top center, dived 454.00 points, or 2.98 percent, and finished at 14,778.37, hitting a two-month low Friday, Aug. 8,…

As beginning of another semester draws near, I am faced with a situation which I’ve not had to deal with for as long as I remember. Having graduated from college, I no longer need to buy textbooks worth hundreds of…

Three Factors that make or  break a First Impression

“In human societies, faces rule”.- Sartre The comic ‘Looks’ which the painter Young-man Huh published on a newspaper many years ago, introduced the subject of physiognomy in an exciting yet plain way, drawing a sizable following. The layman’s term for…

MSG  Is It Really Harmful?

Also present in meat, vegetable, seafood and etcetera Taste is fundamentally divided into four flavors; sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. In East Asia, spicy is added to the list for a total of five fundamental flavors. However, the word ‘savory’…