You Shouldn’t Have Kids

Film: Marley and Me   “You Shouldn’tt Have a Dog”, a book written by dog expert Hyoung-wook Kang, not only provides a fresh perspective on adopting a dog but also make you reflect on rearing a child. Also, it was…

Discussing Politics

I remember it was sometime during college, we had to fill out one of those self-description sheet for an ice breaking session. I recall one of the questions being about whether you liked to discuss politics or not. Now, being…

Multicultural Advocate

What are you? A rather skeptical bystander asks. Without hesitation, I spew out my elevator pitch: “I am kind of like a Resident Advisor, but I focus on social justice issues like race, sexuality and gender”. Then a ‘hmm’ is…

Dear Me in April

Starting a new semester is usually always exciting for me, however, it can be terrifying. Imagining the overloaded amount of readings, essays, quizzes, exams, and other miscellaneous things is petrifying, which is why, for me, having a strong start to…

Amazon Echo and humanity

When I first saw the Amazon Echo commercial, I was really shocked about how much recent technologies have improved. Then, my second thought was it reminds me of a movie called “Her.” The movie made me question how human should…

El Nino's end could  launch grain prices

Photo by: Provided Merrill Crowley   CHAMPAIGN — The principal at a Watseka commodities firm anticipates the impending end of the El Nino could lead to higher grain prices sometime in 2016. Merrill D. Crowley of Crowley Commodities told farmers at…

What's in a name? Hessel Park

Jeff Freeman, Champaign, takes a walk on the new curvy paths in Hessel Park in Champaign Monday morning February 27, 2006. Photo by: Robert K. O’Daniell   According to Joe DeLuce, executive director of the Champaign Park District, several of…

S. Korea Eyes US Missile Defense System  as North Continues Tests

A Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) interceptor is launched during a successful intercept test, in this undated handout photo provided by the U.S. Department of Defense.   SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA— To counter growing North Korean missile and nuclear threats,…

Obama to address deeply  divided Illinois Legislature

CHICAGO (AP) — President Barack Obama will return to the Illinois Capitol next month, where the former state senator plans to speak to a deeply divided Legislature about working together to “build a better politics.” Obama will be in Springfield…

China's Travel Rush  for Lunar New Year in Full Swing

Tens of thousands of people in Shanghai joined the world’s largest annual human migration on Monday to make their way home for family reunions to celebrate the Lunar New Year. At Shanghai’s main railway station, crowds of people dragging luggage…