CU Asian Times Jan. 2015

AsiaLENS Spring 2015 – SCHEDULE   All screenings are held at Spurlock Museum, Knight Auditorium, 600 S. Gregory Street, Urbana, IL   Tuesday, February 10, 2015 – 7:00pm Embrace A film by Dan Smyer Yu and Pema Tashi. 2011. 55…

32nd Day

Yet another year that didn’t quite feel as though it were a year passed, and the tie is almost a full month into the New Year. Though the New Year might not quite feel so new, in my experience having…

Turning the page

Photo by: Heather Coit/The News-Gazette Khadijah Hallmon searches for textbooks as University of Illinois winter break nears its end at the Illini Union Bookstore in Champaign on Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2015. While professors are going digital when it comes to…

‘Open source’ textbooks  provide many benefits

Photo by: John Dixon/The News-Gazette Jonathan Tomkin, associate director of the UI School of Earth, Society and Environment, has created an ‘open source’ textbook — to great success. When Professor Jonathan Tomkin went looking for a textbook to use in…

In Korea, I just turned 26. In the United States, I will be turning 25 years old in October. That means this year I will have lived a full quarter of a century. There’s a common saying that there’s nothing…

In Philippines, Pope Consoles  Victims of Super-Typhoon Haiyan

Pope Francis, in a rain poncho,during a Mass near Tacloban airport, The Philippines, Jan. 17, 2015. TACLOBAN, PHILIPPINES— Pope Francis traveled Saturday to the far eastern Philippine city of Tacloban to comfort survivors of super-typhoon Haiyan, which devastated the region…

Japan PM Pledges  Billions to Middle East

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Egyptian Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab arrive at a joint meeting of the Japan-Egypt business committee in Cairo, Egypt, Saturday, Jan. 17, 2015. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has pledged $2.5 billion in non-military aid…

China Expects ‘Downward Pressures’  on Its Economy in 2015

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang reacts during an event titled “The Global Impact of China’s Economic Transformation” at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Jan. 21, 2015.   DAVOS, SWITZERLAND— Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said Wednesday that China’s slowing economy…

Nuclear Fusion –  the Artificial Star

Same Mechanism Which Produces Heat and Light in the Sun The source of a star’s energy is the nuclear fusion reaction of the hydrogen atoms. How do hydrogen atoms become fused into a helium atom? The nuclear fusion which takes…